It's not much at the moment, but I'll be working on making this app better over the next several months, as well as giving it more functionality, as it is a bit limited at the moment. In the meantime enjoy this little app that will help you keep updated on my artwork while you're bored on the crapper.
Just added a new page to the site, so now you can click straight through to my Etsy page and purchase some of my artwork that I have available. These will all be original paintings for now, although I've been looking at getting some stickers and maybe even down the road I've explored the idea of making prints for my artwork, although I wouldn't hold your breath. At this point, I'd need a whole lot more demand for my work before making prints would be worthwhile. In the meantime however, the few of you that come visit my page get amazing prices on my originals instead. I will be getting some new better scans of some of my more recent pieces soon as well, at which point they will go onto the Etsy page as well, so keep your eyes peeled for more, new content.
Hello, to the few people that actually check this site from time to time (I look at the numbers, I know it's not many). Today I have done a complete overhaul on the site, as I'm sure you have already noticed. Hopefully this will make it easier to navigate, keep up to date on what I'm doing, and follow me on social networks if you feel like it. Not only that, but I think the redesign also gives more information on the artwork, instead of being just a sea of thumbnails. Hopefully this will make it more inviting to interact with everything, and be a motivation for me to post stuff more often on here. If you feel like leaving any feedback on stuff I've missed, or that you'd like to see, please feel free to let me know.
P.S. I'll be adding pricing and availability over the next couple of days.
Hey everyone, just wanted to let everyone know that I have been busy working on some new pieces. I'm making decent progress and should be heading to a scanner soon so I can get them posted up here on the site soon. Instead of waiting for everytime I actually get to a scanner though, you can add me on Facbook or Instagram and get updates more often.
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on here, or had anything to update with. It's been a busy little while for me now, and I don't see an end to the busy in site. However, I did learn about a site that does digital printing on shirts, skreened.com. Naturally I put up some of my artwork on there and now, you can now go there and spend your hard earned money on shirts and sweatshirts with my art on them. I'll be honest, they aren't very cheap, but from what I can tell they will be high quality American Apparel full color prints. In my eyes, I'd rather spend the extra money and have a good quality shirt with full color than a cheap uncomfortable shirt with a two or three color screenprint on it.
Anyway, go visit skreened.com/nicholauslee and hopefully you'll see something you like. The site also allows you to change the shirt brand and color if you like. If you don't see anything, feel free to ask for any of my art on a specific style shirt and I'll try to put it up there for you.
I recently hung up some pieces at The State Theater (Get directions) here in Ann Arbor, MI. If you're in the area swing by and check them out, each one is selling at the low low price of $30. I would also be willing to mail some of the recent things I've been making, if you're interested email me and I'll let you know if I still have it, and how much it would cost to get to you.
Should also be posting some good res scans of 7 more pieces here any day now as well, but in the meantime you should listen to this, because I can't stop.
The year is almost over, and nothing sums up a year better than a top 10 list, am I right? For those of you that don't know, since May I've been working out of my apartment, which means about 50% or more of my hours are spent with either headphones in, or records spinning. Occasionally I'll even listen to music through my laptop speakers, but I'm ashamed of that so let's not go into it. I figure, why not, I'll make my own top ten of what I've listened to this year.
1) Baroness, Yellow & Green : Hands down this is my album of the year, this album has struck a chord with me that I haven't felt in years. These guys have managed to reinvent themselves with this release, and at the same time have managed to help me rediscover myself, and remind my why I've loved music so much for all these years. It's almost beyond words, but their willingness to slow the tempos down, and experiment with melodies and harmonies has me dusting off old Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Yes, and so many more albums that introduced me to music in the beginning and I've forgotten about over the years. Thank you Baroness, for making what I think will stand the test of time and be one of the greatest metal/rock albums ever.
2) Sandrider, Sandrider : This as an album, simply rips from beginning to end. Even the slower parts of this album still hit with more crushing power than Gravedigger (the monster truck, if you're a dummy). With a vocal delivery that at times can be almost unmusical, and a perfect mix of gritty guitars, punchy bass, and huge booming drums, if this album wasn't on your radar in 2012 you missed out. The only complaint I can think of about this band, is that it seems to be a side project from guys in several other bands, which means that it'll take that much longer for them to make another near perfect album.
3) Kylesa, From The Vaults Vol. 1 : It's not typical that I would even consider putting what is essentially a collection of unreleased or b-side material on a best of list, but honestly Kylesa could put out a poop smeared vinyl, where the needle would actually make noise from the lumps of dry shit stuck to the surface, and I would consider it amazing. This group can do no wrong, each release getting not only better, but different. Never staying in one spot long enough for the rest of the music scene to catch up to them, Kylesa is the Muhammad Ali of all things metal and musical. If there were no other reason to listen to this, there is a cover of Pink Floyd's, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun which simply cannot go unheard if you're a true lover of music.
4) Kadavar, Kadavar : I'll be honest, as I said while talking about Baroness' new album, a lot of what I've been doing is rediscovering old classics that I had almost all but forgotten about. Then there are albums like the first release from Kadavar, which when listened to feels like I'm uncovering some lost musical gem that I should've know about for years, if not decades. Taking all the best from the early doom bands like Black Sabbath and Witchfinder General and making that sound their own, this is a group I'll be keeping my eyes on. The mixing of drums centered, guitar on left, bass on right, and the doubled vocals make this a treat to listen to with your headphones on when no one's around to distract you.
5) Mean Jeans, On Mars : Yeah, it hasn't all been metal in 2012, but very little has really made me look elsewhere. However, Mean Jeans did just that with their 2012 album. Beginning to end, there is not a dud on this beast of pop punk. If you want something a little lighthearted that you can smile and bop your head to, this was the only album you needed in 2012. As far as I'm concerned Mean Jeans should just pack their bags and call it quits right now, you can't make a better pop punk album, no one can. i can only hope that their next LP is half as good.
6) Pallbearer, Sorrow and Extinction : Okay, so right now, I have to say first and foremost, don't listen to these in this top ten, or you'll skip right over this album by the midway mark of the first track, being 12:23 in length. However the next time you're in the mood for something to zone out to, or just want something slow and droning, this is a masterpiece. Bringing the doom genre to slower tempos than I would normally like, but retaining the melodic hooks that bands like Sunn O))) and others seems to lose in the process. Another album that is amazing from start to finish, even if it's a bit of a lengthy ride on the journey.
7) The Sword, Apocryphon : As far as I'm concerned, these guys don't make anything but awesome catchy rock and roll. I'm sure all you too cool for school kids out there won't be able to get past the monster riffage and flaming solos. And the content might be a bit too sci-fi/fantasy for many but the truest of nerds to appreciate. Get over it. Put a smile on your face, turn it to 11, and take it at face value. Then at the end of the album, tell me you didn't enjoy the shit out of this album.
8) ZZ Top, La Futura: Their first studio LP in 9 years, and it's like they never stopped. Everyone should listen to more ZZ Top, there is a reason the same three guys have been making music since 1969. Three guys who click like no one has ever done before, and you can tell when you listen to them. It's what a true band should sound like. No one is fighting for attention here, they are just enjoying the music, not the fame it's brought them. This should be higher on the list and once I order the vinyl it will probably skyrocket up in it's rotation on my stereo.
Okay, so that was only 8. If you need a couple more 9) Crystal Castles, III and 10) Murder By Death, Bitter Drink Bitter Moon. Honestly though as much as I enjoy those albums, not to mention Honor Found in Decay by Neurosis, I haven't spent much time listening to them. I've been listening to too much old stuff, and loving it. No matter how much fun it is to listen to new stuff, I think the lesson I learned in 2012 is that every now and then, even though you might think you hate it now, you should go back and listen to that stuff you that originally made you a music lover. It pays off.
but I wasn't near a computer all day yesterday.
Merry Christmas Everyone.
Hey guys and girls, I'm going to try this whole news/blog thing again. I've tried it a few times in the past, but as things don't happen very fast in my art world, I tend to leave the updates to just posting a couple photos every now and then and don't update the news area at all. Let's see if I can't fix that and keep this up to date with any information you might want to know as well as random thoughts and opinions or things I find interesting or exciting.
There is one exciting piece of news coming up, hopefully shortly after the new year, I'll have some paintings on display and for sale here in Ann Arbor at the State Theater. It's an awesome place, and I've had luck selling a couple pieces there in the past. All I have to do is get enough picture frames for a handful of pieces and get them hung up in there. I'll update that when I get them in there, and if you're in the area, swing in and check them out. I'm pretty excited to get my artwork back out there in front of people, it's been quite a while, and a couple of style changes since the last time my stuff has been in display in public.
Other than that not much is going on right now, just trying to make as many new paintings as possible, I should be closing in on 20 new pieces over the last couple months here shortly, which is a pretty fast pace for a procrastinator like me. I've been on this Ink and Water kick for a while now, and I'm loving it. It's always fun to branch out and try something new. However, I'm still working on building out my selection of colors and brushes, not to mention techniques. One thing I learned early on is that working with inks definitely takes more planning than I'm used to, I've messed up at least a couple paintings because I didn't plan everything out properly and they ended up with intersecting lines where there weren't supposed to be any. Also recently picked up my compass, as I've been reading more and more about sacred geometry and fractals and have been trying to incorporate more references to that very interesting study of numbers and ratios into my work. Once again adding to the amount of time I have to spend planning and laying out my work. I almost miss the days where I'd jump into a canvas with no idea or direction and stumble paints onto each other until I found something that would make me head in that direction.
Well, this post has went on long enough, I promise from now on the posts won't be so boring, long, and pointless.